Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

The Perfect Bedside Manner

I’ve been sick for about 2 weeks now and the consensus seems to be that I have walking pneumonia. I think one of the reasons that I can’t seem to shake this illness is that my kids have been on and off sick for about a month and in a violently coughing fit I bruised or broke a rib or two. What all this means is that I have not gotten a decent nights sleep in about a month and I’m exhausted.

Wow, that’s quite a pity party I just threw. I don’t mean to be a complainer, I’m just sooo tired.

This past weekend after a night of almost no sleep and feeling pretty yucky, there was just no way I could function. My wife took one look at me and sent me up to take a nap – my first of two that day. As I was about to walk up the stairs to my bedroom my gaze drifted past my dog who was laying on the living room floor looking up at me.

I stopped and locked eyes with her and immediately could read her mind. Her gentle face very clearly communicated, “I know you’re not well and I’m here if you need me.” From just her look I immediately felt comfort and with a twist of my hand she followed me upstairs and into my bed where she curled up between my legs under the covers. Together we had a very restful nap.

One the best qualities of dogs is that they are always there for us and have a unique ability to quietly comfort us just when we need it most. In the same situation people tend to verbalize too much and although they mean well they feel it necessary to give advice or an opinion when sometimes just quiet reassurance is all that is needed.

That’s where the bond with a dog shines above all other relationships. No matter what, they don’t judge, they have no opinion, and love you the same whether you are rich or poor, happy or sad, or well or sick. They are always waiting and available just when you need them most.

Today I woke up with my ribs aching and, due to a late night trip to the ER with my daughter, my head heavy and tired. As I slowly made my way down the stairs my first sight was good old Hayley looking up at me saying, “I’m here for you if you need me – just say the word.”

No comments:

Post a Comment